Monday, January 3, 2011

best cookie recipe--really.

After many many attempts (and giving fault to the oven) I have found a chocolate chip cookie recipe that really is as good as the title states. I will say, however, there is more effort and love that goes into this recipe than your standard Nestle recipe. I like a chewy cookie, versus a crispy cookie. So, I naturally I googled "chewy chocolate chip cookies". The recipe that interested me the most was one by Alton Brown. Typically I don't like his recipes because they deal with weird ingredients. But I thought, you can't really make cookies too weirdly--and it had 5 stars out of 779 reviews...couldn't be that bad, right? The things I noticed that were different that may have had an affect on the cookies:
(1) Use melted butter vs. softened butter
(2) Bread flour
(3) Baking soda AND baking powder
(4) Egg yolk vs whole egg
(5) and more brown sugar than white sugar. 
They turned out wonderfully! I followed the recipe exactly. Part of the recipe is to chill the dough...which I did for about 45 minutes and that seemed to be sufficient. I also had put it in the garage during the winter, which may of been a littler cooler. 

Ingredients

  • 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 2 1/4 cups bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Hardware:

  • Ice cream scooper (#20 disher, to be exact)
  • Parchment paper
  • Baking sheets
  • Mixer

Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat.Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment